I am a Concurrent Education student at Brock University, with teachable subjects in English and History, at the grade 7-12 level. My teaching methodology is based in understanding of key concepts, rather than simply memorizing content. I believe that thorough understanding of how themes and ideas connect throughout courses helps students remember more content and facilitates genuine learning. English literature is essential because it promotes important writing and reading skills as well as deepr understandings about society.
I have tutored independently, for a tutoring company in Mississauga, and also for Brock University. These experiences add up to four years of tutoring. I also current work at Brock University running workshops and tutoring in the drop-in writing center for undergraduate students.
Brock University, St. Catherine's ON
- Bachelor of Arts Honours/Bachelor of Education Honours- Concurrent Education Program
- Completed Third Year; Anticipated Graduation 2019
- Awarded Dean's List Honours
- Mentor College High School, Mississauga, ON
- Ontario Secondary School Graduation Diploma 2010-2014
- Honour Roll (2011-2014)
- Subject Achievement Awards in Philosophy, English, and Spanish (2014)
A-Z Learning Services Staff (2017-2018)
- Provided individual support to peers with writing and study skills in the writing drop-in
- Led workshops on a variety of topics from study strategies, essay writing, to goal setting
AMJ Campbell Van Lines (Summer 2017)
- Worked with a diverse staff to complete shipment requests between corporations
- Learned various heavy lifting and moving techniques
- Travelled throughout the Greater Toronto Area to move packages
Tutor – Brock University (2016-2017)
- Guided first year students through course strategies/concepts one-on-one
- Helped to facilitate discussion/activities in BOOST program
- Assisted with Brock’s Night Against Procrastination by guiding students
Volunteer Tutor – Mentor College (Winter 2013)
Assisted younger students (grade 9/10) with English literature
Practised learning and studying strategies
Reviewed book content and analysis
Tutor – Delta Learning Centre (May 2015, May 2016)
- Provided ongoing academic support to high-school level students, specializing in History, English, and Philosophy
Tutor – Independent (May-June 2016)
Helped student prepare for his final exam in English literature by assessing his strengths and weaknesses and applying strategies for improvements appropriately
Made use of different strategies and concepts so that this student would understand English literature/essay writing and think of the subject in a way with which he was comfortable
Volunteer Student Teacher –Mentor College (2015)
- Formulated and presented study plans for Ancient History, Canadian History, and English classes
- Carried out lectures, administered assessments, provided supplementary learning assistance, and graded tests and assignments on an ongoing basis
Summertime Maintenance Staff – Mentor College (Summer of 2014, 2015)
- Moved furniture, boxes, and equipment, within the high school campus and was responsible for the physical preparation of classrooms for the upcoming school year
- Carried out painting, landscaping, and other odd jobs, to maintain the aesthetic appearance of school and ensure its facilities were in a state of good repair
Senior Counsellor – Mentor College Day Camp (Summer of 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Worked with children aged 4-12 in a mentorship and oversight capacity; organized games and activities to engage campers, and coordinated daily sports and arts programs
- Oversaw daily lunch and meal program and sale of additional snacks to campers
- Helped to coach high-school age volunteers as to how to approach children and manage given tasks
Audio/Visual Technical Staff –Mentor College (2012-2014)
- Was responsible for the set-up, take-down, and operation of audio/visual equipment at school assemblies, concerts, fashion shows, and other events
o Proficient in Microsoft Office programs
o Skilled in conflict resolution
o Effective and articulate communicator
o Perceptive as to what learning strategies students respond to or reject
o Knowledge of different learning strategies
o Patient and approachable when dealing with others
o Experienced in speaking in front of groups
Perfect! Chris is an excellent tutor - dedicated, thoughtful, knowledgeable and patient. Always arrives prepared for the lesson, always willing to patiently prompt a student through the tough spots. He is dependable - always on time and lets you know in advance when his schedule unavoidably conflicts with his teaching schedule. Really, really pleased with the way in which he has helped my son manouevre through Grade 11 Academic English! The kid is now enthusiastic about the subject, is handing his assignments in on time (no more last-minute, late-night meltdowns) and is getting marks in the '90's.
Thank you, Chris!!
Chris is an outstanding mentor with an impeccable professional conduct. He has a fantastic expertise in teaching students how to form ideas and opinions after reading a book, and he shows them how to express them in a clear and concise manner. I had the pleasure to work with him for the last three spring terms, and it was a joy to see his ability to connect with his students and help them achieve their academic goals. Aside from his professional skills, Chris brings positive ideas and an optimistic view to the work environment. All teachers were happy to coordinate with him on various teaching assignments, and students and parents alike were requesting his teaching on a regular basis. I strongly recommend him for any position he is applying for as I also hope to continue working with him in the near future.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literature lessons for all!
Taking essay writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|