Everyone has their own different way of learning a language and a learning approach that suits them best. In the initial sessions, I seek to find out as much as I can about the learner and proceed from there. If the learner has specific goals and interests, I will tailor my approach and materials around these. My approach is based on the communicative teaching Philosophy of the Goethe Institut as well as the common European framework for languages.I place particular emphasis on communication and practical usage. With more advanced learners, the emphasis is on accuracy, vocabulary and helping them break through the plateau often faced by learners at the advanced level and make fewer mistakes.
What follows is a review from one of my students on another teaching platform, This gives a good overview of my teaching approach as well as an idea of what a typical class looks like.
,,Learning from Oisin exceeded my expectations of a language course, let alone a German language course. Going in to the classes, I had very basic knowledge attained from an official course abroad that, despite any reassurances, did not come as close in effectiveness as a weekly two hour session with Oisin in downtown Montreal. He focuses on relaxing your verbal expression through casual yet intricate conversations (strictly in German) about everyday life. Gauging from that, he understands your weaknesses with grammar and offers the relevant textbook exercises. He chooses the tougher ones, of course, but will meticulously explain every single component of a sentence to help you master the trickiest spots of the language (and there are many). The transition from speech to grammar is fluid and he does not mind repeating concepts as long as you are gradually getting the grasp of them. In addition to the helpfulness of its rigorous approach, the course is actually enjoyable. I highly recommend Oisin individualized methodology over that of a traditional classroom setting.''
I am a professional German teacher with over 4 years of experience. I currently teach at the Goethe Institut but have previous experience at the CEGEP and University levels and have also worked as a private tutor.
I have a masters in Germanistik (German language, literature and culture) from McGill University as well as an official qualification in German language teaching attained as part of the masters program. I teach group and individual classes at the Montreal Goethe Institute as well as introductory German classes at Collège Ahuntsic.
Master of Arts: German Studies (2015-2017)
McGill University, Montréal, Q.C.
Bachelor of Arts: European Studies (2009- 2013)
Trinity College Dublin
European Studies B.A. (German [major], French [minor], History of Ideas, Modern European History)
Result: I - (first class honours) with a distinction in spoken German
Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Germany (2011 - 2012)
(Modules in the History of the Enlightenment Salon, Early European History, Friedrich the Great, The History of Prussia, Rousseau's The Social Contract, along with courses in German academic writing)
Gormanston College (2003 - 2009)
Irish Leaving Certificate - All Honour subjects: French, English, German, Biology, Irish, History (550/600 points)
German Teacher at Goethe Institut Montreal (October 2016- present)
- Teaching German to adult professionals
- Levels A1- B2
- Proficient use of iPads, smartboards and other learning technologies
- Strong focus on promotion of active learning through use of games and interactive media
- Use of online platform to promote independent learning
German Teacher at Collège Ahuntsic (August 2016-present)
- Teaching A1.1 and A1.2 German classes at a French-speaking postsecondary institution
- Assisting small groups of students in the preparation of oral presentations
- Participating in departmental meetings
- Providing additional assistance and guidance to students in both French and English
- Guiding and directing student’s use of facilities in language laboratory
- Tailoring lesson plans to be engaging for CÉGEP students and ensure continued motivation
Course lecturer at McGill University (Fall Semester 2015)
- Taught A1.1 course in beginners German three times a week
- Designed lesson plans as well as exercises and activities which promote active learning
- Provided additional support to students outside of class hours
- Collaborated with other faculty members to draft quizzes, exams and other forms of written assessment
- Corrected written assessments and provided both oral and written feedback
Scholarship: “Deutsch Lehren Lernen”, Goethe Institut Dresden (June 11th-22nd 2017)
- Took part in a professional development workshop for German Teachers focused on advanced grammar, teaching methods and integrating area studies into course material
- Collaborated with German teachers from all over the world
- Gathered more materials for my teaching portfolio
Workshop: Second Language Teaching & Learning, University of Toronto
December 10th – 11th , 2015
- Participated in the above workshop focused on combining teaching methods with recent research in the field of second language acquisition
- Discussed and presented on subjects such as classroom management, technology in the classroom and teaching grammar in working groups comprised of language instructors from across north America
- Swapped and shared teaching methods, activities and games and enriched my teaching portfolio
Seminar: Teaching German as a foreign language. University of Montreal (Fall 2015)
- Gained indispensable knowledge of theoretical approaches to teaching German. Most notably the communicative method
- Gained exposure to a wide variety of textbooks and other teaching materials and critically analysed the merits of each
- Developed an extensive teaching portfolio
- Observed the classes of 6 different German teachers of different levels in CÉGEPs and Universities throughout Montreal and critically analysed a range of different teaching styles
Internship: Goethe Institute Montreal (October- December 2015)
- Observed and assisted with both teaching and lesson planning for a weekly beginner’s German class instructed by Ms. Marie-France Lemay
- Developed and taught a 30-minute Lehrprobe or graded teaching segment and received highly positive feedback from an independent authority
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
- Translating from German to English and occasionally from English to German
- Clients include non-profit organizations such as Mental Health Ireland as well as individual clients such as academics and lawyers
German Customer Service representative at Google
December 2014 –September 2015
German Transactions Specialist for Microsoft/Arvato
September 2013-August 2014
- English (Native)
- French (Professional working proficiency)
- German (Native or bilingual proficiency)
Perfect! Oisin is a fantastic tutor! When we work together, he often chooses something that we speak about after an introductory conversation. This topic is catered to your interest. In my case, I love literature, so we have worked with literature in German and articles in German, which all serve towards expanding vocabulary. This lesson plan makes the time really fly!
Oisin himself is a really easy-going guy who is easy to talk to and who is willing to go off the beaten path if you have questions that aren't central to what is being discussed. Most importantly, Oisin will do a great job focusing on what you want to work on. As a C1-level student, I can say that that is the most important quality for me!
Perfect! Very personable, well organized and attentive to my needs as a student.
Having no prior experience with German; I was immediately walked through basic grammar and vocabulary which we've continued to build on throughout six months of weekly lessons.
I've seen significant progress and he's adjusted accordingly, I'd highly recommend Oisin if you're looking for a teacher.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - german lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, writing comprehension - german lessons for all!
Taking written expression - german lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$40||$40|