I am dedicated to helping students become the best writers they can be and to help them achieve a greater understanding of the academic writing process. I can help you with your writing along every stage, from planning to citations and everything in between. I conduct my sessions professionally and with purpose and organization. I like to start by identifying the requirements of the paper and where it needs work, and then focusing on the areas that can be most improved for the rest of the session. I always conclude with a summary of the session including things to work on going forward.
I am a professional English editor and writing advisor. I have experience working as an English teacher, professional and freelance editor, and academic writing tutor. I am particularly skilled in helping students for whom English is not their first language. I have a Master's degree in Publishing, Bachelor's degree in Arts (English), post-graduate diploma in Teaching English as a Second Language, and two certificates in French as a Second Language.
Preferably we will meet in a public gathering place (library, coffee shop, campus, etc.) but I am flexible.
Highlights of Qualifications:
• Showcases excellent attention to detail in editing roles.
• Fluent in both English and French including reading comprehension, written expression, and oral proficiency, as well as translation and interpretation.
• Proficient in cultural diversity and global citizenship due to extensive intercultural studies and international travel.
• Simon Fraser University (SFU) Master of Publishing graduate, December 2018.
• Thompson Rivers University (TRU) Bachelor of Arts in English, First Class Standing graduate, June 2016.
• TRU Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) program, First Class Standing graduate, June 2016.
• Studied abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France for the school year 2012/13 studying French. (Diploma received)
• Completed the program Explore studying French for 5 weeks in Trois-Rivières, Quebec. (Diploma received)
Relevant Work Experience:
Simon Fraser University Department of French
• Reviewed literature on blended second language learning and teaching (which combines online and in-person educational practices).
• Designed surveys to gauge student engagement with blended language learning.
TRU World (International Training Centre for English and Canadian culture)
• Taught post-secondary classes in content-based English in Language & Culture and Study Skills.
• Managed two classes of international, young adult students from countries all over the world, including Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Russia, Ukraine, Mexico, and Spain.
• Provided assessment to 35 students in English reading, writing, listening, and speaking capabilities.
The Omega (TRU’s student-run newspaper)
• Edited an average of 7,500 words per weekly issue.
• Ensured everything published was error-free by exhibiting grammar and punctuation skills and acute attention to detail.
• Contributed to Arts, News, and Features sections by writing 10 reviews and 2 features.
The Writing Centre
• Encouraged and assisted up to 12 students a week in improving their writing skills by setting goals,
providing feedback, and sharing knowledge of the English language and formal academic writing.
• Advised students on academic English writing including grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, essay format
and style, citations, and revision.
• Provided support for international students in learning how to read and write in English.
• Specialization in copy editing and proofreading.
• Experience with fiction, non-fiction, children's literature, academic papers, and doctoral dissertations.
Certifications and Training:
• The Working Mind employee program (Mental Health Commission of Canada)
• TRU Writing Centre tutor training
• Mental Health First Aid Canada certification
• TRU Co-Curricular Peer Leaders Program
• Member of the Department of Canadian Heritage LGBTQ2+ Working Group
• The National Capital Region Young Professionals Network Fair, November 2018
• The Vancouver Gem & Mineral Show (Social Media Coordinator)
• Growing Room: A Feminist Literary Festival by Room Magazine
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest creative writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking grammar lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|