I typically teach one or two students at a time, as I prefer to adapt my methods to the individual rather than teaching a group. My philosophy is that languages are best learned by using them, so rather than confining myself to lessons and worksheets, I prefer beginning with a mix of conversation between myself and the student, reading assignments, and writing exercises. I then provide instruction primarily based on the student's most frequent errors. Different students learn different ways, however, so I have no problem using methods like flash cards, quizzes, or games.
I am a seminary student with a passion for languages and linguistics that began when I learned French while living in Quebec for a year. I also speak limited Spanish, though I can read it quite well (I recently translated a book from Spanish into English). I have experience tutoring high school students, including ESL students, in various subjects, including French 30, Spanish 30, English 30, Science 20, etc.
My rates are negotiable, according to the ability of the students/their parents to pay me. I am willing to waive the travel fee for students in St. Albert who purchase multiple hours. For students in Edmonton where the travel time from my house (according to Google maps) is over 20 minutes, a $10 travel fee will apply.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE:
Tutor (through St. Albert Catholic High School):
October 2015 – January 2017
• Tutored students (including ESL students) in:
o French 30
o Science 20
o Math 30-2
o English 30-1
• Informally helped students in various other subjects; was placed in charge of my Spanish class by my teacher on several occasions due to the assistance I consistently provided to my classmates
October 2017 – April 2018 (4-30 hrs/week)
• Translated Educar en el asombro (a best-seller in Spain) into English (available as The Wonder Approach, by Catherine L’Ecuyer)
• Proofread various English documents related to the project
• 96% average in grades 11 & 12
• 1 of 4 grad-of-the-year nominees at St. Albert Catholic High School
• High School Diploma
• I am on course to obtain a Bacher of Arts from the University of Alberta, majoring in Philosophy. My minors are currently undeclared, but will likely be German and Linguistics.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$22||$27||Not available|
|5 hours||$21||$46||Not available|
|10 hours||$20||$70||Not available|