I assess the students' weakness and teach specifically to 'fill the gaps', geared to understanding and mastery. Project-based learning is practiced wherever possible. Classes are a mix of theory and practical experience. Students are preparing to apply to university or college.
I have been teaching high school sciences and maths since 1981, including chemistry, biology and physics and math 10, 11 and 12. Since 2006, I have been teaching in China, adding ESL to my repertoire. Since 2013, I have also been an administrator.
Cancellation is free with 24 h notice; with less, a 50% fee will apply.
INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
Strategic minded, forward thinking, educational leader with the proven capacity for developing a vision and delivering on organizational missions and objectives throughout extensive career of serving in progressive roles within international teaching, instructional leadership, and school administration. Highly skilled, enthusiastic, and overtly student-focused with extensive international experience, who advocates for students, parents and staff by providing leadership and support that personifies the mission of the school. Collaborative individual and team builder who works well with populations of diverse cultural and social backgrounds and builds meaningful relationships with students, parents, and colleagues.
Core Competencies Include:
• School Administration • Multicultural Awareness & ESL Programming
• Academic Policies & Programs • Teacher Supervision & Evaluation
• Classroom Observations & Evaluation Methods • Student Recruitment, Safety & Discipline
• Curriculum Planning & Standard Setting • Standardized Testing & Scores
• Professional Development Sessions • Integration of Technology
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
Honour’s Specialist in Biology – University of Western Ontario
Teacher’s College Professional Development Program – Simon Fraser University
Bachelor of Science in Forestry – University of Toronto
Foundation TESOL Certificate – Global TESOL College
Professional Teacher’s Certificate: Alberta
Professional Teacher’s Certificate: Ontario 161222
Professional Teacher’s Certificate: British Columbia L106736
• Successfully inaugurated the American AP education program with a school of 60 students and three full-time teaching staff.
• Took over the role of principal without an official transition or files, implementing a system of running the school with regular weekly staff meetings and weekly administration meetings, processes and protocols.
• Provided direct oversight for the student admissions process, including signing-off regarding students’ English language capabilities, admissions, and grade /classroom placement.
• Delivered quality assurance for the educational programs, including ensuring that the quality of education being provided met Provincial education standards and program requirements.
• Recruited and recommended for hire qualified administrators, teachers and other school support staff.
• Helped new administrators and teachers to acclimatize to a new culture.
• Observed and evaluated the learning environments of individual classrooms.
• Established appropriate student evaluation and assessment processes.
• Input two meaningful professional development day programs in November and April successfully without records of previous professional development days; feedback was positive with suggestions for future PD days.
• Piloted the first Communications 11 course at the school; collected extensive vocabulary lists from articles and books and internet materials for future use of teachers as well as adapted the course to fit the ELL needs of weak students. Designed tasks to build students’ skill-sets to write the English 12 provincial exam.
• Built a curriculum materials bank where each teacher can store electronic files by subject area and grade level to help current teachers and to retain copies of files for succeeding teachers.
• Increased communication at the school by instituting WeChat, which allowed for smoother flow of information and sharing of tasks among staff.
• Improved the cleanliness of school grounds by using volunteer student labour to clean dusty windows and walls and rubbish from locker rooms on a daily basis as part of the Scrub Club.
• Improved shelving arrangement and catalogued all library resources into an electronic system whereby the librarian could easily control the movement of materials; students’ accountability was instituted and enforced.
• Mentored new teachers in physics, math, chemistry, and biology, ensuring they could properly accommodate the needs of ELL students.
Soochow Academy – Suzhou, Jiangsu, China 08/2017 – 02/2018
At this start-up school, oversee the day-to-day operations and implementation of the pre/AP curriculum. Maintain school records, coordinate professional development sessions for staff, establish the school schedule, and oversee the development of course overviews. Supervise and evaluate teachers’ performance. Supervise the general conduct of students, both on and off school premises as appropriate, including student discipline.
Lanzhou Oriental Canada Secondary School – Lanzhou, Gansu, China 08/2016 – 06/2017
Oversee the day-to-day operations and implementation of the BC curriculum for this British Columbia, Canada certified off-shore school. Maintain school records, coordinate professional development sessions for staff, establish the school schedule, and oversee the development of course overviews. Supervise and evaluate administrators’, teachers’, and support staff’s performance. Supervise the general conduct of students, both on and off school premises as appropriate, including student discipline. Perform teaching duties (Communications 11) and TOC.
Jiaxing Grand Canadian Academy – Tongxiang, Zhejiang, China 08/2014 – 06/2016
Taught biology, physics, and ESL classes in addition to overseeing school maintenance, safety, and student discipline. Coordinated a variety of extracurricular activities, including the gardening, ping-pong, and home-economics clubs. Provided instruction to ESL students in the linguistically difficult subject of biology, emphasizing language-acquisition skills while teaching content.
Jiaxing Grand Canadian Academy – Tongxiang, Zhejiang, China 08/2007 – 06/2011; 08/2012 – 06/2014
SCIENCE & MATH CLASSROOM TEACHER
Taught science and math classes to students in grades 10-12. Led the science department for the small school of 50 students spread across three grades; implemented a revised grade 10 science curriculum which resulted in the class all successfully writing the provincial exam with a class average among the normal range.
Soochow University High School – Suzhou, Jiangsu, China 08/2011 – 06/2012
SCIENCE & MATH CLASSROOM TEACHER
Taught science, math, and ESL to students in grades 10-12 in a Nova Scotia, Canada certified off-shore school. Instructed ESL classes with no set curriculum; instituted a Karaoke class once-per-week which helped the students to build up a vocabulary repertoire in a fun and engaging way.
ZhengZhou #47 Middle School FEC Program – Zhengzhou, Henan, China 03/2006 – 06/2007
ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE TEACHER
Taught conversational English to students in grades 10 and 11 (Senior 1 and 2) using Cambridge English for Schools curriculum as an add-on program to the Chinese curriculum. Administered Cambridge KET, PET, FCE reading, writing, listening and speaking examinations.
Additionally, taught in a variety of schools and districts in Canada as a Science, Math, and Technology Teacher from 1981 – 2005.
Recipient of Zhejiang Foreign Expert ‘West Lake Friendship’ Medal (11/2015)
Recipient of Jiaxing Foreign Expert ‘South Lake Friendship’ Medal (10/2015)
BC’s Redesigned Curriculum Conference for Offshore Schools – BC Ministry of Education (07/2016)
BC Offshore Schools Administrators’ Conference – Shanghai, China (03/2014)
Member – Redeemer CRC (12 Years)
Member – Lambton Master Gardeners Group (10 Years)
President – Christian Heritage Party (9 Years)
Native English Speaker
Intermediate Fluency in Dutch
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest organic chemistry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, biochemistry lessons for all!
Taking electrochemistry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$30|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||$150|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$300|