I like to have a structured approach that is also adaptable to each student's uniqueness. I find that the best way to teach is first to LEARN HOW a student learns. I bring joy and a positive attitude to the classroom.
Julia is one of our best tutors. High-quality profile and excellent qualifications, organised and responsive to lesson requests, appreciated by their students!
I am a literary translator with tutoring experience looking to get back to my true passion - teaching. I was born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and studied Literature in France, where I got a Master's degree from Sorbonne University.
Julia Sobral Campos
Bachelor and Master’s Degree
from Sorbonne University, Paris IV
32 years old
Languages: Brazilian Portuguese (native), French (native), English (near native), Spanish (good working knowledge), Italian (working knowledge)
2009/2011: Masters in Littératures Comparées [Comparative Literature] from Sorbonne University - Paris IV
2006/2009: Licence [undergraduate degree] in Lettres Modernes Appliquées [Applied Modern Literature] at Sorbonne University – Paris IV
2005: Baccalauréat Littéraire [French equivalent of SATs focused on literature, languages and philosophy], Lycée Molière, French school in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1991/2005: Bilingual School, Lycée Molière, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
MS Office, Windows and Mac
Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria
Teaching assistant at the Inter-Cultural Association of Greater Victoria – volunteer position for 3 hours/week.
May 2019 to July 2019
Intrínseca Publisher (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
Published translations (novels):
- Translation of Little Fires Everywhere [Pequenos incêndios por toda parte], by Celeste Ng (English ->Portuguese)
- Translation of the e-novel Le Livre Secret [O Livro Secreto], by Grégory Samak (French -> Portuguese)
- Co-translation of Still Me [Ainda sou eu], by Jojo Moyes (English-> Portuguese)
- Co-translation of My Brief History [Minha Breve História], by Stephen Hawking (English -> Portuguese)
- Co-translation of Homeland, by Andrew Kaplan (English -> Portuguese)
- Co-translation of Grey, by E.L. James (English -> Portuguese)
- Co-translation of The Art of Fielding [A Arte do Jogo], by Chad Harbach (English -> Portuguese)
- Translation of Everything I Never Told You [Tudo o que nunca contei], by Céleste Ng (English -> Portuguese)
- Translation of Truly Madly Guilty [Até que a culpa nos separe], by Liane Moriarty (English -> Portuguese)
To be published [no set title yet in the target language]:
- Translation of In the Unlikely Event, by Judy Blume
- Translation of Keep You Close, by Lucie Whitehouse
- Translation of The Underwriting, by Michelle Miller
- Translation of The Guest Cat, by Takashi Hirade
November 2011 -
Translation of the book O que é que ele tem [This is the life], by Olivia Byington (Portuguese -> English)
October 2016 to November 2016
BEI Publisher (São Paulo, Brazil)
Co-translation of the book: If Mayors Ruled the World, by Benjamin R. Barber (to be published in Brazil)
January 2015 to March 2015
Cobogó Publisher (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- The Dancer and the dance [O Dançarino e a Dança], by Merce Cunningham (English -> Portuguese)
- Paul’s Boutique, by Dan LeRoy (English -> Portuguese)
- Daydream Nation, by Matthew Stearns (English -> Portuguese)
January to March 2014
After the small French school I worked for closed down, I continued on with some of my previous students as a private French tutor until I starting splitting my time between Brazil and Canada.
December 2011 to June 2012
École l'Étoile Bleue
(Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
French tutor at a small school in Rio. I taught one on one and group classes.
August 2011 to December 2011
Éditions Viviane Hamy (independent publishing house in Paris, France)
Assistant in charge of proofreading documents in English and French, general organization of the office, dealing with the website.
Vendor at the "Salon du Livre" in Paris for 3 years in a row.
January 2006 to January 2008
Sports: yoga, dance
Mother, feminist, eternal student passionate about languages
Moved permanently to Victoria, BC, from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in March 2016
Lived in Paris between 2005 and 2010
Hobbies: creative writing, photography, bookbinding, arts and crafts
Volunteering: I have taught French to immigrants and refugees at the town hall in Paris (Mairie du IVe arrondissement). I have been a teaching assistant in English classes to refugees and immigrants at The Inter-Cultural Association of Victoria.
Julia is an excellent teacher! She is ceative, articulate and patient. With Julia we learn with lightness and enthusiasm.
Julia is very patient and has a real passion for languages! Very highly recommended.
Júlia gave me French classes when I was a kid and it was amazing! She’s a great teacher and the classes were super fun too! I learned a lot with her!
Julia helped me with my college monograph. She has all the qualities of a great teacher: methodical, patient, enthusiastic and caring. French grammar is not easy and yet she taught me things and after 10 years I still remember them!
Julia was my daughter's teacher and I strongly recomend her!
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$27||$27|