I believe that students learn best when given a chance to solve problems on their own. When approaching a new topic, after explaining the topic and giving the student a chance to ask clarification questions, I like to let the student work on an example problem. This lets me know whether they have reached true understanding. If they are struggling, I look for the source of the struggle and adapt my explanations until something sticks.
I hold a B.Sc. joint majoring in Computer Science and Biology from McGill University. I have T.A.'d COMP 202 (Introductory programming course in Java) at McGill for 4 semesters. I also have an M.A. in Anthropology from Concordia, during which I gained additional teaching experience. I have attended numerous workshops on teaching and for the past year I have been employed as a tutor by Concordia's Access Centre for Students with Disabilities.
If you need to cancel, please give 24-hours' notice. If you cancel too late and I have already travelled out to meet you, I will ask that you pay the travel fee of $10.
• Extensive and varied teaching experience, including 7 semesters as a teaching assistant
• Experience working with students with special needs
• Experience working in leadership and instructional roles with youth in community and academic settings
• Experience giving tutorials and designing lesson plans, assignments and quizzes, and evaluating student progress.
• Over a year of experience working in the software industry.
• SQL (MySQL)
• Ubuntu (Linux)
• balsamiq (for wireframe/mockups)
Dev Tools / Text editors:
• Command line (Terminal)
• Emacs / Vim
• Microsoft/Open Office
• Google Drive
• English (fluent)
• French (advanced)
Master of Arts: Social and Cultural Anthropology
Concordia University (Montreal, QC) 2017
• 3.94/4.30 Cumulative GPA
• Thesis: Reproducing The Virginity Imperative: Women’s Collusion and Men’s Complicity Among Young Iranians Living in Montreal
Bachelor of Science: Computer Science and Biology
McGill University (Montreal, QC) 2014
Note-Taker and Tutor (Access Centre for Students With Disabilities)
Concordia University Montreal, QC
• Tutored students of di ering needs for various courses.
• Wrote and illustrated clean class notes and sent to students in timely fashion.
• Communicated with students to ensure their needs were being met.
Teaching Assistant (Introduction to Sociocultural Anthropology)
Concordia University Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Montreal, QC 2016-2017
• Evaluated weekly assignments, term paper and final exam
• Created new questions for quizzes and assignments
• Responded to student e-mails and online discussion board questions; troubleshooted technical and course-related issues.
Course Assistant (Logic and Computability)
• Developed questions for use in course assignments
Note-Taker (O ce for Students With Disabilities)
• Transcribed clean class notes in LaTeX and uploaded them for student in timely fashion.
Teaching Assistant (Introduction to Computing)
McGill University Montreal, QC
• Evaluated programming assignments (Java).
• Responded to student questions during weekly o ce hours and on online discussion board.
• Taught and reviewed core course concepts with students during interactive tutorials.
• Reviewed unreleased assignment questions and gave feedback to instructor.
Private Contract, Montreal, QC
• Assessed programming assignments (Java).
• Communicated with instructor to ascertain what was expected of students.
Volunteer Tutor at McGill Computer Science Summer Camp
McGill University Montreal, QC
• Coached camp participants during programming activities.
• Adapted and delivered a lesson on the Java programming language.
• Coordinated a small team to ensure the smooth running of the biology section of the camp.
• Contacted participants to verify registration information, and confirmed attendance at check-in.
• Tutored individuals for high school math and science, and university-level computer science.
South Asian Women’s Community Centre (Montreal, QC) Noor Cultural Centre (Montreal, QC)
Relais Côte-des-Neiges(Montreal, QC)
• Taught weekly or biweekly drawing lessons to children aged 6-12.
• Designed lessons appropriate for the children in attendance.
• Purchased supplies according to the needs of the class.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT TRAININIG:
• Peer Instruction: Engaging Students in Small and Large Classrooms
GradProSkills, Concordia University 2018 • Designing your Course: Aligning Learning Outcomes, Assessment, and Learning Activities
GradProSkills, Concordia University 2018 • Best Practices for Grading and Giving E ective Feedback to Students
GradProSkills, Concordia University 2018 • 32-hour Graduate Seminar in University Teaching
GradProSkills, Concordia University 2017 • T-Pulse Teaching Workshop
McGill University 2010
AWARDS AND HONOURS:
• Concordia Conference and Exposition Award 2017
• Carrie Boucock Memorial Award (Department of Sociology and Anthropology 2017
• Governor General’s Bronze Medal (for top graduating grade at high school) 2006
Perfect! Zahra is an excellent tutor. She answered all my questions and gave me additional resources for further studying. She communicated clearly and had no trouble reformulating her explanation when I did not get it the first time. Furthermore, Zahra was punctual and responded quickly when I messaged and emailed her. Would greatly recommend!
Andrey is a strong student who wanted some tutoring support reviewing for finals (Python) over Skype. We reviewed and stepped through sample questions. He was on time for our sessions, quick to understand my explanations, and very prompt with payment.
Perfect! Patient and understanding. Highly recommend.
Unfortunately I did not get to meet Larissa as she had to cancel our appointment, but she was very kind and friendly and offered to pay for the lesson anyway.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest computer programming lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, HTML lessons for all!
Taking computer languages lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|