I keep a balance between vocabulary, listening comprehension, reading comprehension, conversation and grammar. What is most important to me is to use positive and encouraging feedback so you grow more and more confidence as you learn. I use info on modern Germany, textbooks, news, and listening material.
Hi! I have a Master's degree in Modern German Literature and have years of experience tutoring (one-on-one) and teaching (groups) in a variety of settings, including at two universities. I have tutored a wide variety of students, so I can identify your needs and how best to help. Hope we get together soon!
My cancellation policy is a lesson needs to be cancelled 24 hours in advance, or at the very least on the morning of the day the lesson is due. Otherwise, the lesson must be paid for in full.
Susanne Garmsen, (Honours B.A. French & German), M.A., C.Tran. (DE-EN, FR-EN)
Objective: To work utilising my expertise in languages and other academic subjects.
• 2 years Ph.D. program in German literature, University of Alberta, 1982
• M.A., Modern German Literature, University of Alberta, 1982. (also three years’ Mandarin)
• Scholarships for summer course in Trois-Rivières, Québec, and summer course plus one year at Albrecht-Ludwigs-University, Freiburg, Germany
• Scholarship for one year at Liaoning University, China
• Scholarship, JET student program, for 2 weeks in Japan
• Honors B.A. French and German, University of Saskatchewan, 1978 (also four years Mandarin).
Highlights of skills
• over 30 years’ experience in both verbal and high-level written communication
• enthusiastically teaching students from dozens of countries and all walks of life
• close and lengthy dealings with hundreds of people of different backgrounds, cultures and ages
• deeply interested in increasing my practical understanding of human psychology in order to become a better facilitator of interpersonal connection
German Language Instructor Dept. of Germanic and Russian Studies, University of Victoria
Jan. - Apr. 2005
• Maintained close personal contact with up to 54 students, including international ones.
• Demonstrated effective and enthusiastic presentation / communication skills.
• Upheld a consistent record of approachability and fairness to students.
• Resolved sensitive and complex conflicts skilfully.
• Stimulated class discussions and communication by individuals.
• Consulted with students, peers and superiors to determine priorities.
Translator/interpreter, reviser/editor, project mgr. Ministry of Solicitor General 1982-2000
• Launched and edited a bilingual (English/French) corporate newsletter; gained desktop publishing experience.
• Provided information and support to multilingual translators of the weekly International Press Review; I was managing editor.
• Translated and edited difficult, technical and urgent texts from German, Scandinavian, Chinese and Romance (mostly French) languages into English.
• Recent translation: Translating for referrals from UVic’s French Dept., published: two scholarly articles, three published books, and continue to translate various documents.
Language Tutor Self-Employed Jan. 2004 - present
Michelle Kwon’s Tutoring Agency 2012 - 2016
Tutor Doctor 2014 - 2015
Oxford Learning 2014
Saanich Commonwealth Ctr. Jan.-June 2011
Infinity Tutoring Ctr. 2010 - 2016
Victoria German School fall, 2009
Stewart College of Languages 2008 – 2009
Gordon Head Community Centre 2006- 2008
TutorFind 2005 -2011
• Applying knowledge of four languages in teaching over 3,000 hours of language (ESL, SAT and TOEFL prep, German, French, and Mandarin), literature, history, human geography, economics and social studies instruction to students of varying ages, backgrounds and learning capabilities (including learning-disabled & gifted), both individually and in classes, including French immersion subjects
• Encouraging communication and stimulating discussion.
• Organizing and implementing lesson plans tailored to each individual’s or group’s needs in order to achieve the best possible progress.
• Researching independently a wide variety of materials to assist students in their studies.
• Responding to students’ requirements, moods and ideas to work more effectively together.
English Language Instructor DND, Dockyard Naval Base, Esquimalt
April –October 2003
March – Sept. 2004
• Instructed new students in not only general English vocabulary, but also specialized jargon
• Held seminars for other language instructors on useful aspects of language instruction.
• Assisted students, peers and supervisors in identifying and resolving (diagnosed causes of and determined corrective action for) problems.
• Consulted with students to determine their needs and individual learning styles in order to utilize the most effective learning approaches.
• Employed excellent people skills to quickly establish rapport and trust with the students.
• Monitored, guided and assisted Québecois students experiencing culture shock.
German Conversation Class instructor German Cdn.Cultural Club (Edelweiss) 2004-present Setting up and adjusting curriculum, and researching and implementing ways and materials to overcome specific barriers to language learning.
• Utilizing understanding, tact, and diplomacy when dealing with different students.
• Making good use of feedback and being adaptable, flexible and patient with individuals.
• Preparing and delivering oral, audio and written presentations on cultural aspects to familiarize students with German-speaking countries’ different culture and thought.
• Applying all aspects of language knowledge so students can learn to connect with others better by communicating more effectively in the language.
MEMBERSHIPS: accredited member of Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario (ATIO), RCMP Veterans Association, church choir
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - german lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, vocabulary - german lessons for all!
Taking listening comprehension - german lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$28||Not available||$28|
|5 hours||$25||Not available||$140|
|10 hours||$23||Not available||$280|