I would be best to teach at a beginner level, but I can offer a wide range of suggestions about general musicality, practice habits, theory, technique, and singing while playing an accompanying instrument! I can also offer tips on songwriting. I like to teach using the music that YOU love.
Because of my degree is in Music Therapy, my approach is very flexible, acknowledging that each individual has a different background, skill set, pattern of obstacles. I am passionate about teaching students in the style, level, and approach that suits them best, and will support your musical goals so you can feel fulfilled, confident, and expressive in your personal life!
Hi there - I am a graduating Bachelor of Music Therapy student... this means I am trained in general music, voice, piano, guitar, and percussion at a basic to intermediate level (I can also play a little cello!). My main instrument is voice, and I can sing in many styles: classical, pop, blues/soul, etc. I have been teaching on-and-off for several years, to many different types of new musicians: young and old, even adapted lessons for those with developmental disabilities. :)
Only online lessons offered.
Bachelor of Music Therapy (2020 Candidate) - Acadia University
- 4.03 CGPA (A/A+ average), Dean's List
- Special Courses at Acadia University include Personality Psychology, Social Psychology, Music Production Workshop, and Improvisation and the Creative Process. Lessons/Instrument Instruction includes: Classical Voice, Multi-Genre/Music Therapy Guitar, Beginner Cello, Acadia Regional Youth Orchestra, World Rhythm & Drumming, Rhythm & Drum Kit, Comprehensive/Music Therapy Keyboard (piano).
French Immersion Program (2010-2013) and Nova Scotia/ Quebec Exchange Program (2013/14), leading to a French proficiency level of B.1 (DELF).
Music instruction previous to studying at Acadia included classical piano with completion of RCM Grade 7 (2004-15).
Osprey Arts Centre (2011 - 2019)
- Work as an Arts Presentation Assistant included music/art event planning and promotion.
Music Instruction (2015 - Present)
- Private lessons for children, youth, and adults (with and without developmental disabilities) individually and in groups include simple vocal/instrumental instruction, accompaniment, and social support in genres such as pop, country, and folk.
Music Programs for Developmentally/Physically Disabled (2014 - Present)
- Includes leading multi-genre songs and music activities for a group of participants with developmental disabilities (children, youth, and adults).
Coordinator of School "Coffee Houses" (2013 - 2016)
- Includes recruiting peers, organizing short performances, and accompanying/collaborating musically with the goal of helping young musicians develop confidence.
OTHER MUSICAL EXPERIENCE
Performance of original and cover songs in various settings including weddings, funerals, benefit concerts, festivals, and competitions on both a volunteer and paid basis (2012 - Present). Among these have been for the Harmony Bazaar Festival of Women & Song (2014 - 2019) including as a set opener for Ian Sherwood, Erin Costelo, and Heather Rankin (2018).
A professional YouTube and Facebook page has been cultivated for music promotion purposes, and three professional recordings of original music have been produced: the EP "On St. Patrick's Lane" (2012), the full album "Circumstance" (2014), and an EP with the band "Barely Domesticated" (2019).
Perfect! I've now had several lessons with Jessica (whom I found on Superprof). She is excellent and I highly recommend her. She is knowledgeable and provides a great combination of structure and flexibility for the lessons. She is always prepared and I always enjoy my lessons with her.
Thinking of taking piano lessons? Well you have come to the right place. I found Jessica by chance one evening when I was visiting a friend at a nursing home. Jessica and her friends were there volunteering their talents and entertaining the residents. I went up and asked , "Does anyone know someone who can teach me piano'? Jessica said sure she would love to do that. As it turned out I felt hesitant learning by reading music, that's the best way to learn. But Jessica found a way that would work for me. I am a 61 year old student that just wanted to play Christmas Carol's and at sing a longs. I can say that I have enjoyed my piano lessons and would recommend Jessica to teach you and your children. My grandchildren and I had a blast this past Christmas.
Ms. Jurgenliemk teaches with expertise and passion. It is clear that she has had both many years of musical training in various instruments as well as playing for the beauty of expression. I've taken many lessons with Jessica and have come both to know my instrument better as well as myself.
While primarily a vocalist, she is a strong multi-instrumentalist including guitar and piano as well, making her both a well-rounded musician and a excellent teacher.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest music reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, piano lessons for all!
Taking acoustic guitar lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$25|