My methodology is adaptive and collaborative. I am to build a growth mindset, confidence and good character alongside subject learning for each of my students.
I am creative and resourceful with online technology to adapt lessons online (I have paid access to educational websites and Zoom Pro which that allows interactive video discussions and grouping with peers to encourage educational discussion).
The first hour (or two 30 minute) meeting(s) will be for me to learn where your child is currently in the units and curriculum objectives, their understanding of topics covered to date, and also get to know their interests, personality and motivations in order to work well together going forward. I will then plan the order to cover related objectives in creative ways that keep your child curious and engaged.
I make sure that the tasks are just at the right challenge for them to feel motivated to work through and not too easy that they're bored or not growing.
The structure of every lesson will be different depending on the topic:
Sometimes students will try an activity before they learn a concept, sometimes I will teach something small before they practice. Sometimes we'll do experiments (yes, even in math and English!), some days they'll have worksheets (on paper or online), some days we'll play educational games, and some days they may even need to search for items in your house that are examples or useful to practicing the learning concept. If we know your child's best learning strategy, we can lean more to certain activities that are more effective than others.
I'm a certified member of the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT). You can find me on their website (OCT No. 646936). I presently am employed as an occasional teacher with the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board, for grades 1 to 8 generalist (all subjects) and grades 9-12 Sciences and Biology.
Please ask me for a copy of my teaching credentials, including Bachelor of Education (Magna Cum Laude) from the University of Ottawa, and Bachelor of Science (Honours) from Queen's University, as well as many additional teaching qualifications and overseas experience.
Join with a friend and pay the same hourly rate (split it between you).
Education & Professional Qualifications
Certified Member of Ontario College of Teachers (OCT No. 646936) Present
Bachelor of Education, Junior/Intermediate (General Science) University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON 2012-2013
Developing Global Perspectives Cohort
Additional Basic Qualification – Senior Biology Queen's University, Kingston ON 2018
Additional Qualification - Special Education Part 1 Queen's University, Kingston ON 2014
Teaching & Professional Work Experience
Occasional Teacher: Secondary, Elementary - Ottawa-Carleton District School Board, Ottawa, ON May 2019 – Present
• Called to various teaching assignments at all grade levels for both English and French postings in Ottawa
High School Teacher International School Saint Lucia (ISSL), Rodney Bay, St. Lucia August 2015 – June 2016
Mathematics, Physical Education and Health, General Science (Grade 7-10), Biology (Grade 12), Chemistry (Grade 12), Psychology (Grade 12), Facilitation of Physics (Grade 12)
• Grade 7-10 Ontario Curriculum, Grade 11-12 New Brunswick Curriculum incorporating flexible learning through online courses and bring-your-own-device lessons.
• Led award-winning students in the national science fair and national science innovation events.
• Counseled students on personal hardships and academic decisions in an informal guidance role. Appointed to the role as a result of building student and staff trust and demonstration of ethical decision-making skills in difficult situations involving student safety.
• Managed split-level classes, including 7-8 and 9-10, for a small population of diverse students.
6th Grade Science Teacher Abu Dhabi International (Private) School AIS, Abu Dhabi, UAE August 2013 – June 2015
• Taught American curriculum, covering similar unit content to Ontario curriculum at a grade 5-7 level.
• Engaged students in creative science lessons, taught in English immersion to non-native (English second-language) students through hands-on projects and laboratory experiments, and interactive technology.
• Received and offered teaching feedback in bi-semester peer observations, and attended weekly departmental meetings to collaboratively share successes and overcome challenges.
Emergency Occasional Teaching List Ottawa-Carleton District School Board, Ottawa, ON April 2013 – June 2013
• Cared for elementary classes (grades 4-8) on an on-call basis, often driving to unfamiliar areas of town prepared with a box of supplemental resources, and arriving early enough to meet with office staff and teachers for guidance or consultation on school and class routines before the required start time.
• Creatively managed classroom behavior and engaged students to successfully cover lesson content.
• Left detailed records of student performance and behavior for the returning teacher.
Teaching & Professional Work Experience (Continued)
ESL English Teacher Interlangues Language School, Ottawa, ON July 2017 – September 2018
• Accredited by Languages Canada, flexibly taught English as a Second or Foreign Language to mixed-level classes (with varying class numbers and changing groups of teens and adults).
• Incorporated field trips into educational activities, created assessments, designed lessons and curriculum.
• Created assessments, performed intake and exit assessments.
Pedagogical Advisor Interlangues Language School, Ottawa, ON March 2018 – September 2018
• Coordinated a team of 3-6 teachers on curricular and school performance goals.
• Led professional development training and team meetings.
• Managed conflict between students and/or staff as necessary.
• Successfully increased enrollment, surpassing our goal by 30%, by creating curriculum and changing the structure of the academic program.
ESL English Teacher (Training Supervisor, HR) COMO Hotels and Resorts, Phuket, Thailand Oct. 2016 – July 2017
• Collaborated with managers to evaluate business needs; Designed curriculum based on our goals, the company policy and guest feedback.
• Created a learning plan with a timeline and comprehensive list of tasks to be completed by each employee role over the course of the training program.
• Taught customer-service and technical job-specific topics to adults at all levels of English language ability, including manager skills in brand-standard writing and public speaking.
• Evaluated learning outcomes to measure success, and reported to the Training Manager, the Director of HR and the General Manager on progress to inform future planning.
• Liaised with experts in hospitality divisions to develop course content that informed my knowledge and teaching methods when preparing exercises and training material.
Summer Jobs Service Program Officer Employment Ontario St. Lawrence College, Ottawa, ON May-Aug. 2010- 2012
• Ran workshops for students on resume writing, interview skills and employment rights and responsibilities.
• Supervised the resource center and assisted youth and adults from a variety of backgrounds who each faced different challenges in their employment search.
Private Tutor Self-Employed, Kingston, ON; Ottawa, ON; and Abu Dhabi, UAE September 2010 – Present
• Various subjects including general science, mathematics, biology, statistics, English and ESL.
Ombudsman Officer Algonquin College, Ottawa, ON September 2018 - Present
• Advise students on their rights and responsibilities, and on College policies, to help navigate resolution options for various complaints relating to student life.
• Uphold confidentiality, accessibility and impartiality with utmost importance.
Professional Development & Training
First Aid, CPR C Red Cross Certification Coast2Coast First Aid and Aquatics Inc. January 2019
Bachelor of Arts and Science (Honours), Biology Queen's University, Kingston ON 2008-2012
TEFL / TESOL Teaching Certificate Open International Academy 2016
Suicide Prevention Training Lamar University December 2015
Summer Institute for Elementary Teachers Science and Tech. Museum of Canada July 2014
Engaging & Motivating Activities from Science FUSION (NGSS) Abu Dhabi, UAE March 2014
Differentiation in Science and Math Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Abu Dhabi February 2014
English Language Acquisition in the CCS Abu Dhabi International School January 2014
Guided Practice Abu Dhabi International School, UAE January 2014
21st Century Teaching and Learning, Abu Dhabi International School September 2013
Evergreen School Yard Greening Workshop Series OCDSB October 2012-April 2013
Classroom Management and Graphic Organizers University of Ottawa March 2013
Queen’s Conference on Education Queen’s University 2011, 2012
Accessibility Certified Queen’s University August 2011
Community and Volunteer Experience
Earth Day Mangroves Planting COMO Point Yamu, Phuket, Thailand May 2017
“Spirit to Serve” Charity Volleyball Tournament Phuket, Thailand April 2017
Naka Island School Charity Phuket, Thailand February 2017
Painting Phuket Panyanukul School for Special Needs, Thailand January 2017
Classroom Volunteer – Special Needs Terry Fox Elementary School, Ottawa, ON April 2013
Classroom Volunteer Hilson Avenue Public School, OCDSB, Ottawa, ON September-June 2012-2013
Including: Soccer Tournaments, Jump Rope for Heart, School Assemblies, and Mathematics Support
Resources Donation and Health Information Rural School in Masai Mara, Kenya April 2010-2012
Supervisor, Tutor and Mentor Helen Tufts Tutorial Program, Kingston, ON 2009-2012
Fundraiser Organizer Silvercity & Starlight Foundation, Ottawa, ON August 2009
Coordinating Representatives to Regional and National Science Fairs International School St. Lucia (ISSL) 2015-2016
Guitar Club ISSL, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia 2015-2016
Intramural Sport Organization and Supervision (Volleyball, Basketball, Badminton, Dodgeball) ISSL 2015-2016
Science Department National Meetings Northern School District of St. Lucia 2015-2016
Science Fair Coordinator, Presenter, and Judge Abu Dhabi International School (AIS), Abu Dhabi, UAE 2014, 2015
Basketball Club AIS, Abu Dhabi, UAE 2013-2015
Environmental Club AIS, Abu Dhabi, UAE 2015
We Day Bridlewood Community Elementary School, OCDSB, Ottawa, ON 2013
Schoolyard Greening Volunteer Initiative Emily Carr Middle School, OCDSB, Ottawa, ON 2012-2013
Brain Day Leader At Rideau P.S., OCDSB; through Queen’s University, Kingston, ON March 2012
I was 56 yo when I met Carley teaching ESL in Ottawa. So I wasn´t interested in killing time and spend money far away from home, I was there to learn English and Carley filled up all of my expectations, because she was a good, serious, organized, kind and helpful teacher.
Carley, one of the brightest young teacher I met on my way...
Highly responsible and friendly..
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking geometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$25|