I approach my classes with flexibility as to cater towards the students needs. I can help prepare for tests and exams, or simply help enforce concepts previously taught in class. The students should come prepared the lessons with questions, and I can provide additional guidance and practice questions.
I am a science student at McMaster studying Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour with a specialization in Mental Health. I have a strong academic foundation and have taken university level biology, chemistry, calculus, and physics. I have given private lessons in music since 2017 and have just begun tutoring with a non-profit organization.
Bachelor of Science, Honours Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour
McMaster University, Hamilton, ON May 2020-Present
• Specialization in Mental Health
• GPA: 3.9
Carswell Music Studios, Mississauga, ON Sept. 2017-June 2019
• Used communication to teach students aged 5-13 years at beginner and intermediate levels of piano, clarinet, and music theory. This resulted in a steeper learning curve for students and accelerated their progress in music.
• Effectively organized lesson plans to ensure students were prepared for examinations and performances.
Lifeguard, Instructor and Assistant Instructor Sept. 2016-June 2018
Clarkson Community Centre Pool, Mississauga, ON
• Instructed beginner to intermediate levels of swimming lessons, communicating with students to ensure highest success rate in classes.
• Applied various teaching techniques to make classes engaging for students ranging from 6 months to 16 years.
• Responsible for enforcing rules and regulations to ensure safety of patrons on deck.
Honours Integrated Science Student
McMaster University, Hamilton, ON
Sept. 2019-April 2020
• Conducted research projects investigating various topics such as canine venereal tumour disease and prostate cancer treatments.
• Laboratory experience in chemical, biological, physics, and computer
Orientation Leader May 2020-Present
McMaster University, Hamilton, ON
• Representing the McMaster Science Faculty through enthusiastic engagement with incoming students.
• Supporting first year students through their transition into university by organizing activities and discussions.
• Writing and editing for videos to provide information on the programs at McMaster.
WE Charity Executive Member Sept. 2017-March 2018
Clarkson Secondary School, Mississauga, ON
• Conducted research and readings on relevant topics, such as residential schools and education in developing countries.
• Practiced leadership by leading discussions and seminars for members on the impact of residential schools and raising awareness in our community.
• Partnered with WE Charity in organizing food banks and fundraising events.
Electronic Piano Book Design Sept. 2016-June 2017
Carswell Music Studios, Mississauga, ON
• Used detailed organization skills to aid in creating design of a new piano e-book, aimed at helping beginners learn piano in an interactive and engaging manner.
Camp Counsellor June 2016
Saga Summer Camps, Chartwell Baptist Church, Mississauga, ON
• Used leadership to guide groups of children aged 4-12 in various outdoor activities.
• Communicated with children individually and in groups to understand their needs.
ACTIVITIES AND INTERESTS
Music: Trained in classical piano (2006-present), achieved Grade 9 RCM and 97% in Grade 8 Theory, 9 years of experience in orchestras and bands on clarinet and saxophone
Sports: Swim, competitive dance, ultimate frisbee, dragon boat, flag football
Perfect! Alyssa was amazing to work with. She simplified the grade 10 math so my daughter could understand
Perfect! Alyssa completed her intro and 1st lesson with my daughter and she's nothing short of pleasant and professional!! She is always on time, communicates frequently was extremely friendly and encouraging during the lesson - my daughter said "I like her, she's nice" and I think it helps make the lessons more successful! Well done Alyssa, you're a pleasure to work with!
Alyssa helped me with concepts in grade 11 chemistry this semester. I wasn't doing very well and she was non-judgemental and very sweet when it came to helping me get a basic understanding. She took time to re-explain concepts over until I understood. She worked at a pace that worked for me and always came with to our lessons with a smile and positive attitude. I would highly recommend Alyssa for any students looking for a tutor. In my experience, she was so friendly and was able to help me actually understand chemistry concepts and apply that information to projects and assignments. Please consider her as a tutor, you won't regret it!
Alyssa is tutoring my son in Chemistry and Biology at the moment. She was a great choice as she is enthusiastic, knowledgeable and a good listener and communicator. I'm sure she'd be a great teacher in any number of subjects. Highly recommended.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, chemistry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$23||$20|