I teach communicative classes to all levels of English learners. I like to use real world language and examples to help students improve their lives while they live in Canada. Learning a language is an ongoing process that takes a great effort, but when you work with me, it will feel natural.
A typical class is 60 to 90 minutes and involves: a warm-up activity, a reading activity to show new vocabulary or grammar, some practice activities so that you can make sure that you understand the concept, then a more free activity like speaking or listening so you can try out the language and increase fluency. All classes are topic based, and can be chosen by the student. Each class is custom made for the student, and can focus on: speaking fluency or accuracy, grammar, reading/writing, listening, pronunciation, test taking (IELTS), or vocabulary.
I have been working at inlingua Victoria as a general English instructor, for 5 years. I have a bachelors degree in Applied Linguistics from the University of Victoria. I am a native English speaker from Victoria, but can speak Mandarin as well.
60 min lessons are $30. 120 min lessons are 50.
English language instructor
Telephone: (250) 813 - 0536 / (concealed information)
2010 - 2013 University of Victoria, BC B.A Applied Linguistics
2008 - 2009 Camosun college (Lansdowne), Victoria, BC University bridge program
2016 INLINGUA VICTORIA, Victoria, BC IELTS teacher training certification
2014 British Columbia
TESL Canada certification (permanent)
• Observations: ICA
• Practicum: Inlingua Victoria
2011 Josh White, Lee Friesen, and I-Ying Lin,
Persuasive Language in a Computer Mediated Environment
Task Based Instruction, Volume 2
2012 Yi Ying Lin, Lee Friesen
The Relation of the Mandarin Chinese construction ‘V+Qilai” and Reduplication to Word and Morpheme Based Rules
Case study of psycho linguistic literature on the speech chain.
April 2012 – PRESENT Inlingua Victoria College of Languages and Careers, BC
• Currently, facilitating upper-intermediate to advanced general English. (CLB 8-10)
• Organized and carried out lessons for levels ranging from CLB 4 to 12; students enrolled in public school ESL classes, IELTS preparation courses, EAP bridge programs, and ESP.
• Developed communicative and task based lessons and curriculum in a variety of classes, including: grammar, reading & writing, listening & speaking, pronunciation, intensive classes, and power speaking.
TEACHING EXPERIENCE CONTINUED
• Created and implemented tests and methods of assessment on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
• TESL Canada practicum observer and mentor teacher to dozens of budding teachers.
• Helped and mentored students with lesson planning, logistics, and provided post lesson feedback as well as assessment.
• Utilized technology for education, and classroom management.
• Ran a winter English camp for Lin Zhou Yi Zhong, PRC (Lin Zhou number one middle school), in February 2017. Class ran for 10 days at 11 hours per day, and included 90 middle school students from the area.
2005 – 2008 Hong Tai Yang, Hang Zhou, Zhe Jiang, PRC.
• Facilitated classes in Yu Cai - Experimental middle school.
• Facilitated classes in ECE – Wen er lu yi yuan.
• Ran demo lessons.
Bae er mei yu, Hang Zhou, Zhe Jiang, PRC.
• Ran and organized classes for young learners.
• Took part in the Bear American English corner which was a weekend
• TV program for children.
English First, Yi Wu, Zhe Jiang, PRC
• Taught English courses for high school students and young adult learners using the EF methodology.
New Oriental Business English, Ke Qiao, Zhe Jiang, PRC.
• Created curriculum for the beginner business English program.
• Ran daily business English classes.
Lilac, Handan, He Bei, PRC
• Ran English courses for middle school students in after school programs.
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
2008 – 2015 Jade Victoria, Victoria, BC
• Gave tours and education about BC’s jade mining industry.
• Handled large corporate deals.
• Sold jade in both English and Mandarin.
• Experience in bookkeeping and accounting.
2008 British Columbia Canada Pavilion, Beijing, Hebei, PRC
• Gave tours in English and Mandarin Chinese.
• Utilized customer service skills to create a welcoming environment
• Facilitated tours for diplomats and Olympic officials.
2011 UVIC, Applied Linguistics cup (presentation) - first place.
January 2017 Linzhou Yi Zhong, Presentation for Chinese high school teachers on using
communicative methodology in English courses.
2012 – PRESENT Inlingua Victoria, Teacher training and professional development
Technology in the classroom (Monthly).
Inlingua Victoria, Weekly graduation speeches.
2011 UVIC, Applied Linguistics cup: Technology in the classroom.
2013 – PRESENT TESL Canada
2015 – PRESENT IELTS certified teacher
• Teaching skills: Experience in task Based Curriculum, the inlingua method (modified naturalist methodology) and communicative language teaching in all main skills associated with language acquisition. Experience in inductive top down and deductive bottom up language acquisition. Experience in ECE, EAL, TESOL, EAP, and ESP.
• Lesson planning and curriculum development: Create lesson plans for upwards of 8 hours of classes per day at Inlingua. Developed the level 6 curriculum for the grammar, writing, and speaking courses. Created curriculum for high school students interim English program (school strike), Enhanced curriculum used in the TESL Canada program for Inlingua. Created curriculum for power speaking (similar to toast masters) and
intensive courses using a primarily communicative and task based structure.
• Assessment: Develop and implement assessment on a weekly basis for presentations, grammar tests, diacritic essays, informal writing, email writing, resume writing, and pronunciation courses. Keep track of records and create student evaluations every 5 weeks (report cards). Act as a mentor teacher for TESL Canada students when completing a 10 hour practicum. Acted as exam room observer for IELTS tests.
• Classroom technology and computer use: Acquired CCNA 4 in high school, Fluent with use of computers and networks. Experience with various Konica Minolta printers, and scanners.
• MS office suite: Word, Excel, Power point.
• Other programs: Photoshop, Digital photo professional, Adobe Premiere pro, Acrobat, Google drive.
• Languages: Achieved HSK 3 standard in mandarin Chinese. Low intermediate level in Japanese and Russian.
Perfect! He is very knowledgeable, considerate, friendly, and helpful
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$35||$30|
|5 hours||Not available||$175||$150|
|10 hours||Not available||$325||$300|