I am a First Class Degree holder in English and Creative Writing, and am eager to expand my knowledge as a teacher and yours as a student! Working closely with students to understand their needs and tailoring my lessons according to them is important to me. I specialise in creative writing in particular.
I have had continuous top grades within English Literature, Language and Creative Writing throughout my academic career, and am going on to pursue Literature at Master’s level. Enthusiasm and passion for my subject are things I pride myself on. I am understanding and patient, but am more than comfortable with pushing my students to their full potential.
2015 – 2018 Swansea University
BA English Literature & Creative Writing – in progress
2013 – 2015 Maesteg Comprehensive School
A-Levels – Welsh Baccalaureate (A), English Literature (B), Religious Studies (B)
2011 – 2013 Maesteg Comprehensive School
GCSEs – 10 A* to C, including English Language (A*) and English Literature (A)
Thornton’s, Swansea October-December 2017
While studying in my second year at Swansea University, I took on a part-time job in a Thorntons store in the city centre. Thorntons is a well-known brand that requires immaculate presentation, interpersonal skills, and flexibility to deliver the best customer service. I found it enjoyable to interact closely with both members of staff and our customers, and to deliver personalised service and recommendations that suited individual needs.
Nantyffyllon Primary School, Maesteg December 2012
While studying for my GCSEs at comprehensive school, I was involved in work experience in a local primary school as an assistant in the nursery class. The importance of patience and interpersonal skills became evident to me here, as it was crucial to be able to communicate with both my fellow members of staff and the children efficiently. A positive attitude was required, and I found it came easily to me and allowed me to complete tasks to a high standard.
• Through studying English throughout my education from GCSE onwards, I have developed a firm grasp of grammar, excellent spelling and an extensive vocabulary.
• After being chosen to visit the Houses of Parliament with fellow sixth form students in 2014, I was invited to write a piece about our experiences for the Glamorgan Gazette, which was published in their fourth of December issue in the same year.
• I have also been involved with publication and literary events from a very young age. I was the editor of my primary school’s newspaper and wrote numerous articles for them, and I have been honoured to be crowned as the bard for story writing at Eistedfodds in both primary and comprehensive school.
• Within my final year at comprehensive school, I assisted the Head of the Welsh Baccalaureate scheme to proofread the work of younger students. It was my responsibility to notice any error in syntax for the pieces to be of the highest possible standard.
• Studying for the Welsh Baccalaureate at A-Level required competency in creating and sticking to schedules to complete work. The Individual Investigation needed to be finished according to a strong set of deadlines, and by setting my own smaller goals to contribute to the overall project, I managed successfully and was awarded a Distinction.
• Similarly, while at university, I have been developing my skills regarding dividing my time equally between modules and being aware of all deadlines. To assist with my studies, I have devised my own timetable that I use to ensure each topic receives the attention it requires for me to gain the fullest possible knowledge and understanding of it.
• To add to this, I am always one hundred percent dedicated to being punctual. I like to make the most of my time and find that arriving on time to all my commitments helps me to get the full benefit from them.
Team work, communication & interpersonal skills
• Within both my degree scheme and my English Literature course at A-Level, I was required to collaborate with classmates to produce presentations and discussions on various literary texts. I enjoy working and conversing with others, and find it assists in gaining a fresh perspective and new insight that I may not have considered before. This kind of experience has been invaluable to me.
• I am a confident and forward-thinking individual and I always enjoy meeting and interacting with new colleagues and classmates. I feel that the ability to pool ideas and share responsibility within a group comes naturally to me and that it has never posed a problem to me in the past.
• I have also been involved in critiquing the work of fellow students within Creative Writing seminars. Through these class discussions, I have developed the ability to both receive and give constructive criticism and discuss improvements openly and candidly with other members of a group.
Interests and other skills
• I am an avid reader and creative writer, as well as being interested in theatre, music and other creative pursuits that include wordplay and lyricism.
• I am familiar with blogging and other related forms of online media.
• I am competent with Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Publisher, Powerpoint and Excel.
closeby? Here's a selection of tutoring ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literature lessons for all!
Taking creative writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at their home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$17|